Thursday, February 19, 2009

When your parents are old enough to be your grandparents. . .

My mom and dad are 15 years apart and my dad was born in 1926-you do the math. So, when your parents are old enough to be your grandparents. . .



You have to talk REALLY, REALLY loud. Loud because they (really just my dad) wears hearing aids. Loud because you have to talk over the tv that you could hear from 3 houses away. It makes for some pretty interesting conversations that seem to get repeated over and over again.

You are absolutely not allowed to drive at night. Or when it gets dark outside-whichever comes first. Other drivers who could drive perfectly well in the daylight somehow forget how to drive when night falls. It's really just better to wait and do everything during the day. Just to be safe.

You are also not allowed to go outside when the weather is bad. That includes rain and sometimes even wind. Certainly snow, ice, sleet, and any other weather you can think of that is cold or wet. You might get sick, or slip and fall. You can NEVER be too careful!

You get lots of old crap, whoops, I mean antiques that they don't want anymore. Things that have been around say since 1926. Maybe it will one day be useful again. Maybe it won't.

You get lots of important advice on how to live your life. Advice about every little thing. From what kind of car to drive to when to write thank-you notes.



All kidding aside, I really have wonderful, kind, loving, parents who support me and everything I do 150%. In fact, all they have only ever wanted for me was to be happy. Even if my idea of happiness was not their idea of happiness. Nothing shows that more than my choice to become frum (for anyone who doesn't know-orthodox Jewish). I have heard so many horror stories from others who have chosen this path; some people stop talking to their family, some people have to deal with constant criticism. My family is not at all like that.



When I married my husband after only dating him for only 6 weeks they accepted him with open arms and invited him into the family wholeheartedly (sometimes I think they like him more than me :)). When we visit them at their house they participate and keep Shabbos (the Sabbath) to the best of their ability (they even use torn toilet paper). They respect my needs regarding kosher food and go out of their way to make sure I have enough food to eat.



This weekend was a special opportunity for me to spend time with my family without any distractions. Over the past 10 years or so, the relationship with my parents has been slowly changing. I am relating to them as an adult instead of as a child. I can appreciate the sacrifices they make and the unconditional love they give me, because I am learning to give to do the same for my children. It is difficult to put aside your wants, your likes and desires, and your goals for another person and allow that person to be free to experience life in the way that they want. My parents have done that. I feel so blessed to have experienced my parents as role models, caregivers, and friends.

I would love to visit them more but I'd have to drive through the night to get there and maybe encounter some unfortunate weather. Guess I'll have to wait til summer!

4 comments:

Yitzy, Seth said...

"...they even use torn toilet paper"

At least they don't tear used toilet paper!!!! :)

Seriously, hon, I have the best in-laws ever. Your parents are truly amazing people and I am blessed to be in their family.

Anonymous said...

Loved the first part - smarty pants (couldn't stop laughing. What can I say about people (especially one) who get old.
Thank you for your kind words about our raising you - That is what a parent should do, at least in my mind. I would never want to lose you as my daughter - you do what is necessary to show your un-conditional love. Thank Yitzy for his kind words also.

Anonymous said...

This is SUCH a great post. It's so funny, that at first I thought I wrote it. Hahaha...didn't know I had some competition in the humor department. And everything you mentioned is so SPOT ON, it's almost as if your parents are my parents too! Oh wait a minute....

Seriously, we have some pretty awesome parents, but I do have to say that I think I am partially deaf in my right ear due to previously mentioned blaring television set.

Well, I guess it's all part of the sacrifices we have to make, just like the sacrifices THEY have had to make. :)

Orah said...

Your parents seem like wonderful people. I am pretty sure I can relate to you on the (when parents could be your Grandparents) front. (Growing up, I had no friend who understood this phenomenon and all that it entails.) My Dad was born in 1929, my Mom was born in 1937. There is 21 years difference between my oldest sibling and my younger brother. Yes, I have a 50 year old sister. It would actually make for great blog material - I might use it one day. Your parents should live in good health...