Sunday, May 24, 2009

A steal

Yikes, it seems I was too brutally honest in my last post and must have scared some people away. So I've decided to switch it up and share a funny/slightly bizarre story.


I work in an up and coming, part inner city/part yuppie area of Chi-town. It used to have a lot of homeless shelters. It has lots of gang activity (so I've heard) but I am not afraid to walk around the area-I've always felt safe.


Anyway, I don't want anyone to think this story is about safety or something dangerous happening because it's not. Just trying to give a little background so you can picture it in your head.


I pass a drugstore on the way to work and I often stop there in the morning to get any last minute items that I might need before I get to work. This is after I stop for coffee-which I MUST have. But that's a different story.


Okay, so I stopped at this store last Friday, chose my items (it's usually food if you must know) and got in line. There was one older lady in front of me and she had two items, one of them was a bar of soap-this will be important later I promise! I guess she told the cashier she didn't want the soap and put it down next to the counter. She paid for her other item with cash and received her change which she counted and asked for specific denominations. Next, the cashier gave her the item she purchased in a small bag. Which wasn't good enough for her because she asked for a bigger bag. She then proceeded to steal the bar of soap using the bigger bag. To be honest, I didn't really notice until the cashier said something.


Really?


She had plenty of money in her hand. Did she really need to steal the bar of soap? It probably cost less than a dollar. I mean, what was she thinking?


All I could think is that she could be someone's mother or grandmother. What a terrible role model. At least she'll be a clean terrible role model.

6 comments:

chaviva said...

old people are funny.

DESJ and Company said...

I watched a guy steal fried chicken in Jewel.
But he was scary so I didn't confront him.
Did she give it back?

elisha said...

Sara-she walked right out the store with it! The cashier called her manager though, I don't know what happened after that.

Lisa said...

Ya never know about people...maybe she has dementia or something that made her act that way. She might think that she doesn't have enough money for the soap...or she thought she could outwit the cashier...who knows.

Rach said...

thats so bizarre!

but knowing me, I would have just been like "ok, ok, lady- just steal the soap and get out of here- I gotta get to work"

Orah said...

Ppl who have a compulsion to steal, have a sickness. It has nothing to do with how much money they have. There have been very wealthy ppl who have been caught shoplifting. I kinda feel bad, she needs shoplifters anonymous.