Thursday, March 5, 2009

I will survive!

No, that song was not sung. But many other songs were sung, dances danced and acting acted.

I'll give you 3 guesses-where was I?

Ok, I'll just tell you, I went to Erev Shira last night. Sara has a great post about this (and hopefully the link works-I'm still a beginner). I couldn't not write all my thoughts about this evening of song (that's what erev shira means).


First, and foremost it is always wonderful to see kids perform-they work so hard and feel so proud. It is also amazing to see what the teachers are able to accomplish with kids of all varying talents, levels, and abilities. That being said I feel like I truly understand the meaning of the word sacrifice because I really and truly did not want to go! I kept trying to find excuses not to go; I have a cough, it's too late for the kids, etc. But my second grader begged me and begged me and I finally said yes. I wanted her to see her friends from school perform and I also wanted her to be able to talk about the performance with the other girls that went to see it. ( I am trying to be a better mom-but that's probably a post for another day). I also took L who is in first grade because I couldn't leave her out.

The message of the show was important and actually something that I would like to incorporate more into our family. Seeing the good in things that don't always appear that way. Making lemonade out of lemons. That sort of thing. I got it, but I'm not sure my girls did. Because after every scene they had at least 2 minutes of transition time when the stage was black and nothing was happening and then a loooooong song or dance. Could someone tell me why it has to be that way? My girls could not follow the story line with all the interruptions. And we were a terrible audience-everyone including adults talked all the time. What's up with that-aren't we trying to teach our children how to be respectful?

We didn't even stay the entire time, by 9:oo I just had to get my kids home and in bed. Especially considering L had lost all interest by that time and was waiting outside the auditorium because she was so bored. But that meant that Big T was upset because she wanted to stay until the end. There's just no pleasing more than one child at a time.

I would like to give a compliment to Big T. She gave lots of compliments to relatives of the girls who were performing. She was very sweet and she paid attention the whole time. Even L who had a hard time sitting didn't disrupt the performance.


So, I guess I could say it was $28 well spent. Time spent with my daughters watching something wholesome and relatively entertaining. Of course, this morning neither wanted to go to school because they were tiiiiiiiired (said in super whiny voices). Well, I wonder why?


P.S. The amount of balloons people brought to give to the performers could have carried me right up out of there-they filled the whole entryway. It's not Broadway people!

8 comments:

Yitzy, Seth said...

lol. Thanks for taking the little ladies to it hon. I know it totally made big T's night. You are a trooper! I think you should provide part of that feedback to the school. They need to know that flow is very importance in a production – maybe they’ll adjust for next year.

People talking during the show - Am I surprised? Probably the same people that won't shut up for G-d in Shul (Temple). What an embarrassment. Thanks for giving me fodder for my next blog post. :)

Rach said...

i am so impressed that you went, i used my husband coming home as an excuse! D. was crying that we didn't go.

Also, We NEED to talk about bbysitting, can we talk later?

chaviva said...

I sent R with her savta who had to go anyway for the other grandkids in the show. it was definitely a win win situation for me.

Shosh said...

At ACHDS they have a rule against gifts b/c the balloons/flowers got so out of control. BTW the food fair you asked about was the telshe one that chaviva chaired.

Orah said...

When I was in BY, they did not have Erev Shira, just a woman's tea with choir. So my Mom was subjected to a little less until High School. They start Erev Shira too young if you ask me. They should not start until 12th grade.... :) (of course, I can say that now as a mother who is two years away for the inevitable)

Shira said...

I totally agree with you about the lack of flow. When I was IN the shows, I never knew what they were about. You have a loooot of Erev Shiras ahead of you!

Anonymous said...

This is so funny! Sounds slightly torturous, but I'm glad you took the girls. Why weren't they performing? Tell them both I am proud of them for their ability to pay attention and for supporting the arts! (hehe) And tell Yitzy I hate it when people don't shut up for G-d. That one had me laughing out loud.

Anonymous said...

E, you are finally learning that you have no life for 20 years - you are there to be supportive for the girls in all their activities. That is what a good MOM does even if she doesn't want to. At least your husband helps you, but Dad wasn't like that for me.