Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Progress update, etc.

So, I made this great list about what I intend to do. But how is it going?

Pretty well if I do say so myself. And it's my blog so I do say so.

Menu planning has been happening, 2 weeks at a time. It really helps to do it that way, technically I only have to go grocery shopping once every 2 weeks if I do it right. Of course, milk and produce still need to be gotten but that's a relatively quick errand.

Making double of some meals is also wonderful. I really wish I had started that earlier in my married life!! I now have a tuna casserole, tray of enchiladas, and a lasagna in my freezer waiting to be eaten. I really have to thank my husband for helping with this-he made the enchiladas and the lasagna (with the kid's help!) and that was totally appreciated! I also made homemade minestrone soup in the crockpot last week and I have some of that in the freezer also. Hopefully, I can keep up the momentum. This little bit of extra planning makes the evenings run sooooooo much more smoothly.

Cleaning is more challenging for me. I seem to do it in bursts-it's all or nothing. I am too tired at night after I come home from work to do more than dinner, dishes, laundry. So I am still figuring this part out. We did do a TON of cleaning this weekend, so the house is clean and it's amazing how much weight gets lifted off my shoulders. Of course, the cleanliness doesn't last long with 4 kids and snow, but at least it's clean for a few minutes.

Since the evenings are running more smoothly, I have more time to spend with the girls and that makes them happy. Which makes me happy. Big T and I went to a mother-daughter event at her school and we actually had a nice time. We made a project together (a topiary-great for my artistic daughter), ate snacks, and played a game. When I asked her what her favorite part of the evening was I expected to hear about the project. But she said "spending time with you mommy." Sometimes they can just make me all mushy inside. Here's another mushy moment:






So now I have been mulling over another idea. Among the blogs I read, this one has an interesting challenge going on right now. She calls it Eat From The Pantry Challenge. The premise is that for the month her family is only buying produce, milk, and perishables. When I first read this, I scoffed at it. I thought it was crazy. But the more I thought, the more it made sense. And the reason it made sense to me is that that wonderful holiday Pesach (Passover) is just around the corner. As I have built up quite a stockpile of such items as pasta, pancake mix, cereal, and canned goods, not to mention the chicken I have in the freezer; I thought it would be an opportune time to use these food items. I an NOT making rules for myself, I am just going to try to really work hard at planning my menus around these items. Wish me lots of luck-I'll keep you posted on my efforts. ( I know my husband will be REALLY happy, besides for the saving $$ part, he wants the closet where I keep the food surplus for a huge fish tank-now he has hope of getting it).




We celebrated 2 birthdays this past week. Big T turned 9 and Little T turned 6!! That is just plain craziness, where has the time gone? Big T has now earned her nickname, she is just 6 inches shorter than me! Granted that is not hard to do considering I am less than 5 feet tall, but still. She's only 9!! I kinda feel like I am growing up with her (as a parent). I don't know how to parent a child this old, I've never done it before!! Hopefully, I won't make too many mistakes!




But back to the birthdays. They each got to pick the dinner on the night of their birthday. Subway and enchiladas!! We've certainly branched out from pizza and hot dogs (although they are my husband's children-they usually ask for steak)! We are planning to have a small family party soon, so I plan to put some pics up then.


That's all for now. Hope everyone is having a good week!!





6 comments:

Lisa said...

What an awesome idea...cooking double!! I only usually do that for lasagna. I need to start thinking ahead, especially now that I'm working out of the house, have a sick mother and a Bar Mitzvah in 2 months!! You have inspired me!!!!

Orah said...

Here is something I do - which works well for us. I invested in a stock pot - HUGE. I make a huge batch of chicken soup with loads of veggies (can make any soup you like) then I separate it into containers. I can go about 6 - 8 weeks of Shabbosim without making soup and it always tastes fresh.

michelle said...

so glad to hear you are keeping your resolutions! our birthday gift for yitzy will definitely help keep you inspired. it has pretty much changed the way we eat (variety, ease, planning in advance) for almost a year now. at least i hope it does the same for you! and the pic of little t is SO cute. see, the most important thing you can give them really is your time (and although we never feel like we have enough it is free of charge). i think one of the hardest things about being a mom is finding a routine, putting streamlining systems in place, and making things easier. SO not there yet, but with the birth of baby 2, i better get my act together!!

aliza said...

Since when is any family get together small?!? ;-)
Sounds like you have been keeping on track! Good job!!

mom said...

Keep up the good work. By maintaining some kind of schedule you've already noticed how much easier things are.

willson said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.