Sunday, September 13, 2009

Dominick's deals and Screen eating squirrels

Friday and Saturday were not normal days. Nothing bad, just different.



After work on Friday I stopped at a Dominick's on the way home which was about 3:30. I was looking for something specific which they didn't have. As I looked around the store, I saw lots and lots of people. And those people were filling carts and carts with stuff! I was very confused until I looked at some signs on the wall that read "Everything in the store 50% off (except the liquor)!" Well, you can imagine how excited I felt-I grabbed a basket and started putting cans of formula in it. Formula alone can bankrupt a person so I am always looking out for deals. Then I started with other items: juice, lunch bags, detergent. It turns out they are liquidating their stock to close the store and then remodel/reopen it. It is grungy and run down but the food is the same there as anywhere!!



There was one sad part to this story however. I didn't have my coupons with me!! I usually carry them everywhere or leave them in the car but I wasn't prepared on Friday. So of course, I had to go back. 2 hours before Shabbos! With construction traffic everywhere. It ended up that I got home an hour before Shabbos and still had to shower me and the baby (did I mention I took her back with me and her diaper leaked and that still didn't stop me)! So good deals abounded but it was a strange way to enter Shabbos.


But my joy was marred by a screen eating squirrel Shabbos afternoon. We left the kitchen window open and a squirrel chewed through it and started eating food on my counter. I don't know if I can describe how terrifying it was to walk into my kitchen and see food and other items strewn all over the counter and sink! Thank G-d the squirrel was gone, maybe all the noise we make scared it off. I threw away everything on the counter and now we have to replace the screen!! The squirrels in this city are truly a menace-I can think of a few creative ideas to get rid of them.
Poison. . . Traps. . .Larger animals that eat squirrels. . . BB guns? Maybe I should call my alderman with some suggestions?



I am so tired this week-getting back into the swing of things of working full-time has been hard. I did use some of my precious free time finishing The White Queen by Phillipa Gregory. It was reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally good! It focuses on the time period of the War of the Roses (York v. Lancaster for any history buffs out there). She did a great job with the main character. Still waiting for some book suggestions. Waiting. . . and waiting. . .

14 comments:

E said...

I officially offer you either/both Maisy or Katydid to help defend your house against squirrels or spilled food on the floor. I cannot guarantee that they will actually help with squirrel though.....

I also need to tell you....I really glad that we get to work together. EVen though we are usually tired and don't get to talk nearly as much as we would like, it's nice to know that i have a friend in room 304.

Hugs!

Anita said...

Ugh the squirrels used to do that in the apartment. I remember waking up one morning to the noise of a squirrel chewing the screen. We used to bang on the windows to make them go away.

Shosh said...

OH MY G-D. NEXT TIME, CALL ME! All that 50% off stuff....im salivating.
and that squirrel thing? horrifying. i was freaked out by the squirrel i found in the basket of our stroller, but that was OUTSIDE.

DESJ and Company said...

HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS??????
WHERE?????
OMG CALL ME TOO! Not just Shosh!

Rach said...

i knew shosh and sara would respond that way :)

could you please suggest another historical fiction novel? or maybe we should just do the gregory novel you just read- I love her books usually.

shalva said...

as mentioned previously, i really don't like historical fiction but geraldine brooks has written some good novels in that genre...just throwing it out for you historical fiction people.
also, that 50% off sounds freaking amazing! i pass trader joe's on my way home everyday, which is fun and convenient but not as fun as a dominick's offering everything half off!

Elisha said...

ok, shosh and sara don't kill me!! I didn't tell everyone earlier because there wasn't much left and it was right before shabbos. they did say they were closing this fri. so if you feel like a trip, go for it!! it's on lincoln between bryn mawr and foster.
shalva-i love memoirs too- i am reading one now called Spiced about a pastry chef. But i need to intersperse it with some other genres sometimes. i am going to request all the books from the library-i think i bought the aj jacobs book. should we do a book someone has read or one that no one has read? I'm up for either!

shalva said...

elisha, i think i have heard of Spiced - how do you like it so far? i am usually up for any memoir, i love them too! did you read aj jacobs' first book? i think it was called Know It All or something like that? as far as choosing a book, it doesn't matter either way - a new book is good, as is one i've already read..also, you must have a suburban library card - it can't be possible to get all these books from the chipublib so quickly??

Anonymous said...

okay, that is a disgusting and scary story! we had a squirrel in our attic once that ate through the outside of the house (rotted wood) and we (a company) caught it with a snickers bar (no, seriously) and a cage and then took it far far away. i was just listening to this story on npr today (how apropo!) about urban wildlife...hehe, you have urban wildlife in your KITCHEN..but anyway, the Humane Society has a wildlife services section of their organization and they will come and humanely take care of critters, mostly by using exclusion techniques (not 100% sure what that is but I think it means they will make sure they can not get back in, using one way doors, etc.) so you should definitely look into them and what they offer if it keeps happening! i think it's hsus.org. xo!

Lisa said...

As for the shopping...you go girl!!! I would have done the same thing! Now, the squirrel issue is a huge problem in this city!! Did you know that there is such a thing as a "scrat"? It a mixture of a squirrel and a rat!!!!
A friend of mine once found a squirrel in her dining room up on her window....let's just say there was a lot of screaming and a broom involved!!

DESJ and Company said...

um I'm going tomorrow morning at 8:20am after I drive carpool
you're the best.
Shosh-want to join me?

Orah said...

I love how free stuff racks up the comments...

Elisha, E. Did NOT get it. As far as I know, these critters were PURELY attracted to So's genes. And next time I go to Israel, my kids will be wearing shower caps EVERYWHERE!

Brie said...

I just read The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls and I highly recommend it!

Mom said...

E, this must be the time of squirrels. The squirrels are back next door in the attic building a bigger nest than in the spring (insulation is all over the deck and grass and I hear them scratching between the wall in the morning). The baby squirrel has fallen from the roof area to the top of the shed twice. The first time it stunned itself and laid on the shed roof and top of the fence for quite a while but then was all over the place. The second time Daddy saw it fall on the shed roof and the mother squirrel came and got it.
Can't stand them because they are big rodents that will eat through wires, etc. if they can't find food and can cause damage to your house. However, I'm wondering if they know that something like winter will come sooner and be colder since they've already started nest building and Pat M. already has had quite a few mouse in her kitchen because they are coming thru the pipes in the basement = do they also know that the winter is coming sooner.
We know the squirrels love your trash cans with all the wonderful leftovers, so I guess they wanted more so it moved to the kitchen with all its goodies on the counter. Just be careful that they don't bite you!!!