Monday, July 27, 2009

next school year

So a few post ago I mentioned that something different is happening with the kids. It's pretty final so I wanted to share our decision and why we made it.

We have decided to change schools for Lulu and Little T. They will be attending a jewish montessori school instead of the super conservative jewish day school they had been attending. Big T will still be going to the same school.

Why the change? There are many reasons that we thought this would be best for our kids. I am not going to use this post to disparge the school they were at. That is not my goal. However, as a teacher I have high standards and expectations that were not being met for my children. It's not entirely the school's fault. The education system is broken in our country for a lot of reasons. And the jewish day school system is not exempt from those problems. In fact, the jewish school system is often behind the times and might even have MORE problems.

But ultimately my kids weren't getting what they need to be successful. For Little T, we are trying to be proactive because we do not want her to experience failure during kindergarten, when Lulu's issues started.

I do not want anyone reading this to think that we haven't taken responsibility for our children and their behavior. I KNOW my children aren't easy. That they aren't docile, "cookie cutter " children. They push boundaries. They like to get their way. But don't all children? Seriously, though I take them to appts. and am open to any and all things that will help them. That has been one of the hardest parts for me-the mom and the teacher-that there seems to be no accountability in the jewish school system. Even though we have been more than open and accomodating and done everything they asked to help our children, they have/will not. And it's no one person's fault. It's the limitations of the system that they are in and the lack of knowledge/experience with anything even a little bit outside their perception of the "norm." And that makes me sad. But rather than fight to change the system (which I originally wanted to do) I am not. Because I would rather use that energy to spend time with and enjoy my kids. (And because of the advice of someone within the system who know the ins and outs as a teacher and parent who said it wasn't worth it.)

I am excited for this fresh start for them. I truly think the montessori approach will utilize my children's strengths and build up their weaknesses. Every parent that sends their kids to this school has only wonderful things to say about it. The director is truly there for the kids, you see it in her face and in the excitement in her voice when she talks about the students and the program. There is also a more diverse student popluation which I am happy for my children to experience and be part of.

Hopefully, this will be a smooth transition and a new beginning.

8 comments:

Orah said...

Good for you. I have great admiration for the parents who are more concerned for the welfare of their children than what "others" may think of them for going to the "different" school. I went to the school where you have been sending your kids and I can only assume that your experience is pretty much the same as it was when I was there (if it has not changed in over 20 years - it will never change) My experience is partly why I chose another avenue for my kids. Hope this school allows your children to grow and thrive and succeed the way you envision.

Rach said...

I will miss you children dearly but am so proud and impressed with you that you are doing this. Good for you, you go girl!

DESJ and Company said...

WOW!
May it be the beginning of great things!

chaviva said...

Good Luck Elisha. R will miss Lulu. Just the other day, she saw me reading your blog and noticed Lulu's picture on the sidebar. She was completely fascinated by knowing someone on the computer. I hope the new school works out well.

Lisa said...

I have SO MUCH to say on this subject...let's just say that you hit one of my "buttons"!! Don't worry, I agree with you!! I would love to talk to you about this(not @ Jewel)!!
There are so many problems with our system!! Good for you for taking action and making a decision for them based on their needs!! I agree that fighting the system sadly is a waste of time..so sad! Anyway, call me, I really want to talk about it!

Shosh said...

good for you. being a parent is all about advocating for the best for our children, no matter what kinds of boundaries we have to cross or how many "out of the box" things we have to do. i hope your girls have an amazing experience in school this year! they are certainly lucky to have you as their mother!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see how it all turns out. I definitely think you made the right decision and hope the girls enjoy their new experience with montessori!

Brie said...

I didn't even know that Chicago had a Jewish Montessori school. As an educator, I am a huge fan of the Montessori ideology. As a parent, I am a huge fan of doing what is best for you children. Kol ha kavod to you!