Tuesday, July 14, 2009

naturally natural, a pretty postcard

I have so much to say but every time I think about blogging I just get overwhelmed! It seems like so much effort to write these days. But here goes.



I have a little obsession with birth. My husband would say it is a big obsession- I love to talk about it with everybody and anybody. I married into the right family because my mother-in-law is a doula (labor coach) and one of my sister-in-laws is becoming a childbirth educator. So you can imagine our conversations at any given time-all the men end up leaving the room because inevitably the topic of birth comes up.



No, I am not sharing my own birth stories with cyberspace. Except to say that I have never had an epidural with any of my labor experiences. Why am I sharing that? Because I just finished reading an amazing book: Adventures in Natural Childbirth. It is a collection of birth stories by women who gave birth naturally. Some of the women used midwives, obs, doulas, or were unassisted. The stories basically cover every type of birth, even c-sections and show that for as many different types of women in the world there are that many differences in birth.



What I continue to find as I get older and more experienced is that we enlightened Americans are really not so enlightened as far as the birth process. Our lack of education when it comes to labor and birth is astounding. I am not criticizing anyone's choices-it is extremely personal. However, I have never, ever felt so empowered as a woman and human being as I felt when I gave birth to my children. As I have written previously, I have do not have a simple history when it comes to this area. I have experienced many difficult things. And yet they were my experiences and I feel so strong as a result of feeling them. There is a difference between pain and suffering ( I am quoting my mil or sil, I can't remember which). When I have been in labor I have felt intense pain. But I am not suffering. It is supposed to be work. I am bringing a human being into this world. Could there be anything more miraculous?

Getting off soapbox for now. I do have to say it's a great book if you like reading birth stories. If you don't like them I wouldn't suggest reading it, it is pretty graphic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


ANYWAY, in other parts of my life . . .


This wonderful postcard was sent to us in the mail by my super crafty sister. It is made from fabric and she sewed the pictures on too. I think she used stamps to write the words. Our address is on the other side but I am not sharing that with the entire internet. Even though I probably only have 2 faithful readers and they are in my family and know where I live anyway! As you can see, the creativity gene completely skipped me and went entirely to my talented and amazing sister. But that's ok as long as she gives me all her wonderful projects!

16 comments:

Rach said...

Hey, I'm a loyal reader, if not always a loyal commenter

That postcard is craziness! so so so cute!

I'm with you on the birth stuff btw, but I think we are somewhat alone in the world.

My view is this- it's your choice- just be making informed choices, that's all! And epidurals can be life savers, literally- and to the woman who walks in saying "epidural please"- I say "woot woot- power to you woman". A healthy baby and mommy is the ultimate goal.

I just don't let when people don't respect people's choices, on either side of the "natural childbirth" issue

Anonymous said...

another great book on the topic of birth is The Baby Catcher, by Peggy Vincent - she was one of the first (or maybe THE first) midwives in Berkeley to practice solo...it's a memoir of her career, and a GREAT read.

elisha said...

Thanks, Rach! that's what I was trying to say!

Ok, anonymous, I respect your right to privacy but can you give me at least a little clue who you are? do I know you in real life? have you commented before? you seem to have the same taste in books that I have-I have read Babycatcher and LOOOOOOved it!!

shalva said...

i'm sorry, i am just really, really hesitant about commenting in public forums (actually, i'm just really shy, period), but i love, love books and i love to suggest books i've loved to people who'd like them, too so i couldn't resist...to answer your question, i don't know if you 'know' me - my last name used to be banker, now it's kohn...and i don't remember how i found your blog but i enjoy reading it! and i agree, i think we do have similar book taste - i didn't want 'The Babycatcher' to end, it was so good!

elisha said...

shalva- I hope I didn't make you uncomfortable!! Thanks so much for reading AND commenting! I really appreciate it! Maybe we could start a book club??

shalva said...

not at all, don't worry!! and i LOVE the idea of a book club, i am seriously obsessed with reading and i love recommending books i've liked to other readers...oh and i forgot to mention in my earlier comment, apparently we are on the same work schedule, too - i also work in a public school :)

adinab said...

ok- that postcard is too cute! even i wouldn't have thought of that!!!
was it heavy?

Rach said...

Um Elisha and Shalva- can I be in your book club :)?

chaviva said...

Okay book club ppl, I want to know when you find time to read, cuz I love reading yet cannot find the time to fit it into my life in any real way. My guess is, it probably comes down to priorities.
Also, the whole childbirth thing is so personal. What is empowering to one is completely traumatic to another. In life we all need to make decisions that work for ourselves as individuals and not follow the pack because that works for them.

Anonymous said...

e,
thanks for the sweet words. i'm so glad the postcard made it in one piece. (and you took such a nice picture of it as well!) and thanks, rach for the compliment!
e, you and i truly must have the same genes, because i just finished reading Baby Catcher and i loved it too! i want to read more midwife memoirs now...hahaha. i told jared that i was probably the only person who was jazzed to deliver again after reading that book. anyone else might be terrified. haha. the pregnancy i could do without (nine months is SO LONG!) but labor and delivery--well there is nothing better when you get a sweet baby at the end!

Elisha said...

adina- it is not heavy, i think it cost 44 cents to mail.

shalva said...

speaking of childbirth books, i just remembered another good one - The Blue Cotton Gown, by Patricia Harman is a really interesting memoir about a year in the life of a rural husband & wife ob/gyn practice (the author and wife is the nurse, husband is the ob/gyn). and yes rach, you and anyone who wants can be in the book club ;)

elisha said...

thanks, I am going to look it up in the library right now!! I meant to ask you what you teach? i just reserved 3 books at the library-the new jennifer weiner, philippa gregory and sarah dunant. they are all fiction (2 are historical).

Yitzy, Seth said...

Books, eh? Ok people, who's excited for the grand finale of the Wheel of Time series? [the sound of crickets permeates the air] huh? Come on, anyone?

Mom said...

Now a comment from your Mom - I love reading all the different comments. Re birthing, as I've said to both you & Mi, do what makes you feel the best - natural or otherwise. The right way is the way that makes you feel the most comfortable.
Loved seeing the post card Mi sent you - she is doing a great job in her new craft endeavors. She also made one for me which you will see when you come in August.

Brie said...

I also read your blog and I am very in line with your way of thinking with the birth stuff. It took one epidural, one c-section and one natural to turn me though. If I wasn't VBAC I would totally consider a homebirth (but who can think of such things when my baby is the same age as yours.. I still remember the pain a bit too vividly to even think of another right now).